Monochrome- Police work is...
C It Productions, LLC
I am creating a teaching tool using film production to capture the attention of those most impacted by use of force and police brutality. To appeal to our youth who are bombarded by quick highly entertaining clips we need to use this powerful medium to effect change.
What does your organization do?
To bridge the divide between law enforcement and the communities they serve. We will use the magic of film incorporated into community engagement meetings to make conversations more productive.
Briefly tell us a story that demonstrates how your organization turns inspiration into impact.
I watched a video in 2016 of Anthony Castile’s girlfriend and her 4yr old daughter in the back of the police car after he was killed by police. At 4yrs old she was composed she was trying to comfort her mom. And she said “I wish this town was safer, I don’t want it to be like this anymore.” Since then I have not stopped trying to find a way to make that come true for her. I truly believe this is the best way to do it. But I need your help.
Which of the connect metrics will your submission impact?
- Adults getting sufficient social & emotional support
- Attendance at public/open streets gatherings
- Government responsiveness to residents’ needs
Will your proposal impact any other LA2050 goal categories?
- LA is the best place to LEARN
- LA is the best place to CREATE
In which areas of Los Angeles will you be directly working?
- County of Los Angeles
How will your project make LA the best place to connect?
1) Meet with community leaders on both sides of the issues surrounding law enforcement.
2) Create film content to help them convey that message to the other side in a way they have been unable to do effectively.
3) Produce each segment with filming, music and/or animation based on the best way to really bring things into perfect focus.
4) The goal would be to have this entire project on it’s feet in 10 months.
In what stage of innovation is this project?
Pilot project (testing a new idea on a small scale to prove feasibility)
Please explain how you will define and measure success for your project.
Success for me would be every division of LASD and LAPD hosting an event for their neighborhood community. This video would be shown followed by Q & A with the community and officers. At the end everyone walks away thinking “wow I never thought about it that way before.” Then the next time they have to interact with each other it is with a new found mutual respect and less people are killed or brutalized.
How can the LA2050 community and other stakeholders help your proposal succeed?
- Host public events on the topic your organization’s issue area (e.g. access to capital, education reform, clean energy, etc.)
- Capacity, including staff
- Strategy assistance and implementation
California Center For Economic Initiatives
GARIFUNA INTERNATIONAL INDIGENOUS FILM FESTIVAL
Garifuna International Indigenous Film Festival (GIIFF) is an annual festival where film makers, leaders, and members of indigenous communities are recognized for their contributions to the betterment of indigenous people. GIIFF showcases a variety of films and documentaries created by indigenous storytellers as well as panel discussions, workshops and cultural presentations. This annual festival reconciles, entertains and portrays the very diverse and brilliant cultures of indigenous people.
BREATHE California of Los Angeles County
Blue Sky LA
BREATHE LA is seeking support for Blue Sky LA, an air quality improvement program fueled by volunteer projects to help us clean our air by the 2028 Olympics. We’ll engage residents through monthly volunteer opportunities, track effectiveness by identifying the number of people participating in each event, and quantify reductions in harmful emissions via a digital platform. Our goals are to engage residents, promote collaboration, and establish LA as the global leader in reducing air pollution.